Network)Senior Software Engineer
Why this role matters
Software-Defined Networking (SDN) technology is radically changing the way that networks are designed, built and operated, by telecommunications and web-scale companies.
This role is to be leadthe Virtual Service Application support group, who are transforming customer’s networks into software-controlled systems. You will be part of a dedicated and customer focused close knit team, solving problems using new technology and approaches, and become a technical specialist.
Some days may be busier than others which results in a flexible attitude to hours worked, and takes into account any planned out-of-hours work too. We closely monitor work-life balance to ensure our people remain effective. This means no two days are ever really the same, making it an interesting job.
What you'll be doing
The candidatewill be expected to lead a small team, which is part of a dedicated and customer focussed close-knit team performing a variety of functions. The job is office based hours, and will entail some out-of-hours deployments and membership of a 1 in 4 week call-out rota (which comes with a contract adjustment and additional pay). The work often involves close working with other parts of customer, and good team and communication skills are essential.
The candidate will be expected to:
• Have responsibility for technically coordinating a small team to deliver solutions; Accountable for the design and development of projects and may be responsible for working with the customer on delivery of solutions
• Take responsibility for projects from customer requirements to deployment and support
• Spend some working time being innovative, e.g. developing solutions to problems or building new services, and challenge preconceptions and finding simpler and more effective solutions
• Simplify the business by removing inefficiency through automation
• Be active in the developer community, helping improve development practices across the company
• continuously update and enhance their software development skills
• be invested in the continuous improvement of the team
• contribute to the software engineering community
• get involved in the solution design of new work
We'll also need to see these on your CV
Over two years’ experience working in a software team and able to demonstrate that they have good understanding of (and real practical experience of) working in an Agile development environment writing maintainable, well designed and thoroughly tested code.
- Python or willing to learn Python
- Linux (good day to day knowledge).
- Bash scripting.
- Analytical support experience, communication skills and cross team diagnostics.
- Working knowledge of TCP and UDP networking.
- SQL (Oracle) query construction.
Nice to have’s:
Understanding of IT infrastructure, cloud/virtualisation, or network technologies is desirable.
A strong interest in network and software technologies, problem solving, and be able to manage small projects.
A good team-worker and communicator, being able to produce clear and concise designs and reports.
A good appreciation of the commercial and non-functional aspects of software projects.
STEM degree or equivalent qualification, or equivalent experience in software development.
Bash Linux Python SQL
Accepting only candidates from:
Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Spain, Finland, France, United Kingdom, Greece, Croatia, Ireland, Latvia, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania